Friday 1 March 2013

Issues with Megatron



I have trouble with Megatron. I can't say his real name, because as the moderator of another fellow site like the one he manages, I am not supposed to contravene the 'no-hate rule', especially against another head of another site, whom I offended and appear in their blacklist, for really working against his personal interests. I am not supposed to have ill will against anyone. But the truth to me is, 'no-hate' does not happen.

I am not really against Megatron and his atrocious nepotic practices, peppered with favoritism of his great rich friends of the same socio-economic strata. Indeed, if it's just about his own stuff, I'd go easier with him, because don't we love the same horses?

So Brony stuff isn't an issue. The issue is more of the specific comments that he said. 
Megatron used to say, 'You didn't work hard enough,' or 'get off my life, since you're low-functioning'.

What's appaling to me is that Megatron himself is an Aspie, like me, and even more essential to me, he volunteers for the local autism group. Megatron himself, like many people on the Spectrum, is working towards a career in STEM (or, in my own term, MESTCH). Also, one of his maternal aunts is the current President of the autism group. Or so I heard.

For those who are like Megatron, who may have Special Needs are lucky to get into the MESTCH (Mathematics, Engineering, Science, Technology, Commerce (backroom operations, such as patent law, firm accounting or backroom finance) and Healthcare) by virtue of the combination of family wealth, connections and innate ability, good for them. The world is an unfair system, and I accept it. Such is life.

Simply because MESTCH is kind of standardised. So long as you don't have a psychiatric condition, criminal record and low IQs, you can theoretically work your way up even if you're an Aspie. (Well, I say, theoretically.) And more critical to me, money can buy almost everything - legal settlements, intellectual training/tuition, medication to treat psychiatric conditions or perhaps even 'familial welfare'.

However, I note that not at least 85% of the Aspies in Singapore are unemployed. They are poor, not really well-connected, not really smart (90% of Aspies are not savants anyway), could be involved in police cases, or have a psychiatric condition. Many of them have disparate interests, especially in the media (art, music, or, remotely, even sports). But the media requires much more money than MESTCH to break into.

However, as I and Dad are both avid sports fans, we know Zulfiya Chinshanlo is an ethnic Chinese who moved to Kazakhstan, did not get along with the Chinese sports bureaus well, and get 'loaned' to the Kazak national team. Even if you don't get training in your home country, so long as you do well in your area of sport, you can still break world records...

I believe the same could go for art and music.

Given globalisation, and given that my friend Tiger knows a few people who are interested in art, music and sports, and are still unemployed, I guess it's a great opportunity for us to work on our common strengths.

This is why I proposed to Tiger's group, perhaps we could do a documentary or video about High-Functioning Autism, and to display our talent using this project? Even if we failed, at least, we worked on something worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment